A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other Audis (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Third generation A3 (8V) e-tron (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11019)

Lee S 3rd March 2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 107633)
I've not yet driven a 2-series, but I assume as it's front-wheel drive, it will have the predictable handling SWMBO is used to on the Focus. Or similar.

Is it FWD? Have BMW EVER produced a FWD? Even the 1 series is RWD isn't it?

tintin 3rd March 2016 09:37 PM

They seem to be starting to move into FWD with this and the next 1 Series. I think they also did a FWD 2 door hatchback (3 series?) about a decade ago for a short while, but from memory it was pretty universally regarded as poor, by BMW standards.

HPsauce 4th March 2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 106888)
Volvo V40 Cross-country T5 (4WD) 250bhp petrol auto with lots of toys.

Had a good test drive on all types of roads today in one of these. Quite impressed and the ACC (radar, not camera) works well, with a neat little thumb toggle to adjust the "car gap" to your preference "on the fly".

Quite gentle at first but in Sport mode when the turbos kick in it's about as quick as the S8, 0-60 in 6 seconds. 6-speed auto, though presumably no match at high-speed cruising.
None of the instant grunt you get from a normally-aspirated V8 but more than adequate despite being only 2 litres. What's more, very easy to drive gently, which will suit SWMBO. ;)

HPsauce 6th March 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 107689)
Even the 1 series is RWD isn't it?

The current model is, but it's upcoming replacement will be FrontWD. The 2-series is definitely front, same platform as the Mini.

And, not to be outdone, while we are vacillating, my #2 son has ordered himself (and his new wife, with her agreement after a test drive) a new BMW M135i in Estoril Blue. Should arrive in about 6 weeks. Like this:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/storyimage...-2a2b-fe20.jpg

I need to get SWMBO into decision-making mode ASAP! :tuttut:

#2 son still has his 4.2 V8 S4 Avant. +++ But with a baby on the way, due this month, the car is staying.

(My daughter and her boyfriend are currently car-free but considering a Porsche of some sort)

They were almost all here for mothers day today, and all we talked about was cars! :ROFL:

HPsauce 18th March 2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 107833)
The 2-series is definitely front, same platform as the Mini.

Well front or optionally four (Xdrive) on "selected" engines to be precise. We had a test drive today, both of us had a go. Acceptable and added to the shortlist.
(Tip: if you buy a current BMW don't bother with Sports seats as the adjustable side bolsters are really just a nuisance but DEFINITELY have the optional lumbar support as they are pretty poor without it)

Down to a shortlist of three now, Volvo V40, BMW 2-series and Jaguar XE. SWMBO is having a drive in the Jag on Monday as she has only been a passenger in it so far.

Singh 21st March 2016 10:24 AM

The 2 series coupe is rear wheel drive, it's only that active tourer Citroen Picasso thingi that is front wheel drive. It's a sad day when BMW drop their naturally aspirated inline six, and start entairtaining front wheel drive. :(

HPsauce 21st March 2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 108698)
it's only that active tourer Citroen Picasso thingi that is front wheel drive.

Ah well, that's what we're looking at, didn't even look at the spec on the coupe. ;)

Amazing amount of misinformation from the salesman in the showroom though, he clearly new almost nothing about the whole 2-series range. And what he did say was largely flatly contradicted by the brochures/pricelist/website. :Confused:

Singh 21st March 2016 12:35 PM

Let me know what deal you get at BMW, I can probably beat it and put you in touch with a great salesman. +++

IT 21st March 2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 108702)
Amazing amount of misinformation from the salesman in the showroom though, he clearly new almost nothing about the whole 2-series range. And what he did say was largely flatly contradicted by the brochures/pricelist/website. :Confused:

I've always fancied a job as a new car salesman. I reckon I could lead most people into buying a high spec car through hours of boring accuracy alone. They'd buy all the options just to stop me talking so enthusiastically about 'em... :D

HPsauce 21st March 2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 108703)
Let me know what deal you get at BMW, I can probably beat it and put you in touch with a great salesman. +++

Thanks for that offer, Amar.
We haven't yet decided on a BMW, it's on a shortlist of 3 at present.
And we also have an inside contact (via family) that my son is using to buy his M135i.
But I'll definitely be in touch if we do choose one. :cool: