A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   WANTED! D2 A8 OSF Fog Light Grille (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12200)

triumph2.5pi 8th October 2016 07:45 PM

WANTED! D2 A8 OSF Fog Light Grille

Hi all. Does anyone have a D2 (2000/X) A8 OSF fog light grille for sale?
+++

David's8 8th October 2016 08:34 PM

In short:
1. They are frequently lost unless you secure them by some means.
2. Many have lost them.
3. They are, therefore, rarer than rocking horse poo.
4. Hence, they sell (IF available) for astronomic amounts.

There are threads on here about them and, for instance, whether they could be 3D printed. Good luck with the purchase but it is probably one of the most hard to get items for the D2. Sorry. :-(

Norretal 8th October 2016 09:28 PM

First post scrounger or seller posts are always the best +++

tintin 8th October 2016 09:44 PM

Plan B?

Isn't this a good candidate for 3D printing?

briang9 8th October 2016 10:24 PM

seem to remember (difficult at my age I know) but sure someone mentioned this before, maybe it was moltuae, cant really remember:o

steamship 8th October 2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 118280)
seem to remember (difficult at my age I know) but sure someone mentioned this before, maybe it was moltuae, cant really remember:o

You're right, it was talked about a while ago. I even went so far as to see what 3D printers could do. I think the main issue would be getting 3D scans of the grilles, and then getting one of the many 3D hubs around the country that can produce items of that size. And since the grilles are to be visible, you'd have to go with the finest printing. Looking at the prices on some of the 3D hubs, they range from quite cheap to 'bloody hell'.

e.g. Maplin sell a 3D printer for £375, but is limited to a maximum size of 200 x 200 x 200mm, and I think the grilles are longer than that.

ainarssems 9th October 2016 04:04 AM

Wouldn't it be great to have all grilles CNC milled out of block of aluminium? :)

David's8 9th October 2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 118283)
Wouldn't it be great to have all grilles CNC milled out of block of aluminium? :)

Now thats an idea! Get Trophy Steve onto that. +++

triumph2.5pi 9th October 2016 08:34 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated. I didn't know they would be so rare / expensive! I'm not in a hurry so will keep my eyes peeled hopefully for something a bit more reasonable than I can currently find. And also make sure the replacement is properly fixed with no escape!
I know someone with a 3D printer so will ask them what they think too.
+++

Ameiseuk 9th October 2016 08:22 PM

Grilles

There was a pair floating about on a well known internet auction site in the last week or so - I've bought a few items off the seller, no issues at all with the transactions.