A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Corrosion (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15367)

Johnmed 13th December 2019 10:06 AM

I’ve got some bubbling on my D3’s doors and flaking of paint around the rear arches. The bubbling has been there for as long as I’ve had it. The flaking lower arches was an unpleasant surprise to me recently.

Is it worth my time contacting Audi?

spannerrash 13th December 2019 11:47 AM

I have to say folks, this is a real concern for me. I am meticulous about maintaining my vehicles and have spent thousands (as we all probably have) over the years on nice cars just to loose out to corrosion.

I don't as yet have any signs of corrosion. None that I have noticed anyhow. I even have quite a large scratch on the front ns wing, down to the ally and yet I don't see any signs of paint lift or corrosion.

This car cost me £3200 3 years ago and I have already spent over £5000 more getting it back into a good state. I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of parts availability but if I find any signs of corrosion on the bodywork, I think that's what will kill my enthusiasm.

Can someone list the common areas to check on a D2 please.

Thanks Frank

moltuae 13th December 2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 154222)
Well this has really peaked my attention as the main reason I bought my D2 S8 was because of the resistance to corrosion.

I understand galvanic corrosion but surely aluminium just left exposed doesn't corrode does it? I actually bought a spare A8 wing, rubbed, burnt and ground some paint off in three separate areas. I left it exposed in the garden for 2 years and could find no real corrosion issues. Does aluminium not self heal?

Are we talking real penatrive corrosion here or are we taking paint lift.

Am really interested in if someone could clue me up on how big a problem this is / can be.

I would say that, with the exception of galvanic or chemical corrosion, aluminium oxidisation tends to be limited to the surface. Unlike steel, which will continue to oxidise until nothing remains, surface oxidisation of aluminium actually prevents deeper oxidisation (which is essentially how anodising works). Aluminium oxidisation can of course get under the paint and spread across the surface if left untreated but it's not generally structurally damaging.

By comparison, here's a Mercedes S class of a similar vintage to a late D2 A/S8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMFmVYvYqyA

Now the Merc may be a particularly badly neglected example, but I've never seen an '8 with anything like as much surface corrosion and structural corrosion seems to be pretty much non-existent on '8s (with the exception of the steel subframes of course).

DailyMike 13th December 2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 154230)
I’ve got some bubbling on my D3’s doors and flaking of paint around the rear arches. The bubbling has been there for as long as I’ve had it. The flaking lower arches was an unpleasant surprise to me recently.

Is it worth my time contacting Audi?

What have you to lose? GO FOR IT!
DailyMike

Johnmed 13th December 2019 12:20 PM

It’s disappointing at the very least. I was drawn to the A2 and the A8 because of the aluminium. The A2s I’ve had have not had bubbling or flaking and were considerably older than my D3.

Johnmed 13th December 2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyMike (Post 154233)
DailyMike

I just may. Would Audi UK be my first port of call?

IT 13th December 2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 154231)
I have to say folks, this is a real concern for me. I am meticulous about maintaining my vehicles and have spent thousands (as we all probably have) over the years on nice cars just to loose out to corrosion.

I don't as yet have any signs of corrosion. None that I have noticed anyhow. I even have quite a large scratch on the front ns wing, down to the ally and yet I don't see any signs of paint lift or corrosion.

This car cost me £3200 3 years ago and I have already spent over £5000 more getting it back into a good state. I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of parts availability but if I find any signs of corrosion on the bodywork, I think that's what will kill my enthusiasm.

Thanks Frank

I've never seen any corrosion on a D2 outside of the fuel filler flap, or an accident damage repaired section on Andrews old S8 so I wouldn't worry too much about it....

The early D4's did seem particularly bad for it for some reason, but it does seem quite isolated to them overall.

DailyMike 13th December 2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyMike (Post 154233)
DailyMike

Yup!
I'd ask to speak directly with your AUDI Dealer Principal...he'll have a vested interest to maintain an excellent relationship with a long-term AUDI customer.
Best of luck and DON'T take "NO" for an answer...fellow-forumites have "case history" setting the precedent for you to quote if you experience resistance...
DailyMike.

MikkiJayne 13th December 2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 154231)

I've not seen any others than the areas I mentioned before.

Filler flap (by far the most common)
Upper leading corner of the rear doors just below the brightwork
Sunroof panel

I'll get some pics later.

I've not seen any creeping corrosion on the body shell - only bolt-on panels.

J i m s t e r 14th December 2019 09:42 AM

My D3 is going on the rear plate holder light/grab bar. Looking carefully at it, it seems to stem from the screws that hold the bulb covers. I guess these are causing a contact reaction with whatever material's in the grab bar and it's slowly creeping up to the outside-facing part.

Please alert me to the regular flight-paths of any anvil-carrying Chinooks.