A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   headlight issue (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7378)

The_Laird 22nd December 2013 10:22 AM

headlight issue

My o/s headlight sometimes goes out when I go over a bit of a bump, but comes on again if I switch them off and back on.

Connections seem to be OK - any ideas?

I've got Bixenons BTW

PsYcHe 22nd December 2013 12:55 PM

Could be a dry joint in the ballast itself. If you can swap them over, and see if the problem moves.

The_Laird 15th January 2014 07:37 AM

Well, the problem got much worse, with the bulb going out quite frequently, so I started with the easiest option - replacing the bulb.

Did that last night and all was well on the way in for 30 miles or more, until I hit a big pot hole and the bulb went out again. It came on after switching off, but then went off again a minute later. So probably not the bulb!

So where do I find the ballast? And how do I swap them over?

David's8 15th January 2014 08:10 AM

The ballast is the metal box about the size of a pack of cards attached to the side of the headlamp unit. As you know Jim I had an intermittent lamp (not bulb - thats what you plant in the garden :tuttut: ;) ) problem at the MoT the other day. The high voltages used by xenon lamps area problem if there is poor contact/dry joint so its best to sort it out soonest. You will have spare unit on you spare headlamp assemblies. +++

The_Laird 15th January 2014 08:22 AM

But didn't you just replace the bulb, sorry, lamp? I'll try swapping the ballast tonight. Thanks

IT 15th January 2014 08:26 AM

I concur ballast.

Think of xenons like flourescent tubes, on their own they cant get going or stay going. They need help, the ignitors get them going and the ballast keeps them going. If the ballast goes a bit iffy the lamp will go on and off just like a flourescent light........ +++

Its a reasonably regular part request for a D2 from memory although never had one fail personally.

David's8 15th January 2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 66680)
But didn't you just replace the bulb, sorry, lamp? I'll try swapping the ballast tonight. Thanks

Yes. mine was an issue of poor contact between the lamp and the lampholder.
Arcing had caused pitting and deposits which meant that occassionally it didnt light up when switched on. If switched off then on again it was generally ok - except it happened at the MoT centre! :(

The_Laird 15th January 2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 66683)
...on their own they can't get going or stay going. They need help.

Sounds familiar! :)

The_Laird 15th January 2014 10:38 AM

Is it an easy swap? I've seen the 4 cross-head screws on the cover, but what's underneath that in terms of wiring and whatever else?

PsYcHe 15th January 2014 02:46 PM

You'd probably swap the unit as a whole rather than the gubbins.