A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Windscreen washer jet removal (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16255)

The_Laird 12th May 2021 10:06 AM

Windscreen washer jet removal

1 Attachment(s)
I took my lower screen shuttle off the other day to clean it and discovered there had been a gorilla let loose on it, resulting in 2 broken clips and a missing drive spindle seal.

MJ miraculously had just 3D-printed said seals and kindly sent them by first class post, and A8 Parts provided a good scuttle.

But I have to swap the water and electrics over and can’t work out how to separate the electrical connections from the washer jet body (see photo, taken from the back of the scuttle with the jet body popped loose).

Any know how this is done?

steamship 12th May 2021 10:34 AM

From the times I've been in there cleaning mine, the only way I can see is to disconnect the wires from the other end and feed the lot out through the hole. On mine, the two wires to the jets are cabled tied to the washer pipes and then cable tied again just next to the wiper motors, where there is a connector. From memory, it's cylindrical in shape and I think one half of it is grey in colour.

The_Laird 12th May 2021 10:40 AM

I wondered if that might be the case, Sean. Your description of the components is spot on! Thanks mate.

steamship 12th May 2021 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd be clever and find a photo of it for you, but sounds like you've already gone out and checked. Anyway, here's the photo should anyone else be interested.

HPsauce 12th May 2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 164842)
disconnect the wires from the other end and feed the lot out through the hole.

Exactly that, and as Sean said there's probably some cable ties to remove as well. :cool:

Does anyone have any evidence that heated jets achieve anything anyway?

Memo to self: I never did get round to trying all those other fan/spray jets I have on hand...… :o

Conan_the_Librarian 12th May 2021 03:47 PM

Use a lump hammer and do it publically! Not discreet and compassionate my *£#@.......

The_Laird 13th May 2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 164847)
Use a lump hammer and do it publically! Not discreet and compassionate my *£#@.......

Wrong thread, Mike?

The_Laird 13th May 2021 04:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm pretty chuffed that I chose to replace the scuttle as it was worse than I thought.

In addition to the n/s fitting being broken (see photos with o/s for comparison), so was the o/s bracket which slots into a fitting on the body (also see photos with n/s for comparison) and the central fitting (underneath the round cover) was completely snapped off, with the remnants still bolted to the body. What a mess!