A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   D4 car sim (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15344)

H-M3 30th November 2019 12:46 AM

D4 car sim

My learned friends, hope everyone is keeping well and warm. Jus wanted to ask about the car sim port. What is the benefit of that and would it be better than pairing your phone via BT? Also I read about Google earth being available, how does one access that? Thanks

Architex_mA8tey 30th November 2019 08:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would guess that using the in car SIM would generally give a better signal to the phone than the standard mobile phone aeriel would but not sure how beneficial that is these days. It's also possible to use the in car SIM as a WiFi hotspot which may be of use.

The best benefit to me is the use of Google earth live mapping and also online destinations. Insert a sim with data use availability into the slot behind the cover under the clock, then wait as it takes a few minutes for the car to register it and fire up access to it.

To activate Google earth press the Nav button then choose settings and map display needs to be set to Google earth then the Google logo on the bottom right of the screen will gradually change from grey to white as the map data loads.
It doesn't use much data, maybe 1-3 meg a month depending on how much you are travelling around - it only updates the map as it needs to by downloading more from Google earth admit requires it

Online destinations allows you to press the speech button on the steering wheel and say "online destinations" followed by a place eg raffles nightclub Chelsea" and the car SIM accesses the internet and returns search results to the nav which you can then select the correct one of to get your nav loaded with a destination

H-M3 30th November 2019 10:25 AM

Top notch! What sim you using dude?

paulrstaylor 30th November 2019 07:14 PM

If you have an phone that supports rSAP, you can achieve the same via bluetooth if you select "car" in the bluetooth profile +++

H-M3 30th November 2019 08:16 PM

I have dated iPhone which does connect, transfers all contacts etc. But I don’t think I can get google maps etc.

paulrstaylor 30th November 2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 153972)
I have dated iPhone which does connect, transfers all contacts etc. But I don’t think I can get google maps etc.

Sadly, Apple phones don't support rSAP, so suggest a cheap PAYG SIM card +++

H-M3 30th November 2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 153973)
Sadly, Apple phones don't support rSAP, so suggest a cheap PAYG SIM card +++

Cheers. Will have to keep my loyalty with Apple I guess:cool:
NB: what phone you using buddy?

paulrstaylor 1st December 2019 07:50 PM

I've had samsung phones for years, currently got a Note9 +++

tc4332 2nd December 2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 154002)
I've had samsung phones for years, currently got a Note9 +++

Good choice Paul.
Bought mine last year.

H-M3 27th December 2019 12:13 AM

Guys. Hope all are keeping well. Bought myself a 3 sim Data only. I registered it with my phone so all good. However, inserted in my car but car does not pick it up. I cannot do anything on the phone settings either:Confused::Confused:. Anybody shed any light on this? Was hoping to use for google earth. My BT seems to work fine as I can make and receive calls.
Thanks

ainarssems 27th December 2019 06:39 AM

I have no experience with D4 and it's probably not your issue but I know that 3 cards do not work with old phones as 3 is only 3/4/5G and 3G only works on 2100Mhz, not 900MHz and no 2G at all.

GiffGaff that runs on O2 network on the other hand has worked in anything I could throw at it including factory handset in my old 1997 S8. If you are not using it much you just fill it up with credit instead of GoodyBags and it lasts forever, I have had it for several years just as a backup and still have £9.66 left from the £10 initial topup. Obviously it would drain much more quickly if using it for data daily as it is 5p/MB.

Another option could be https://www.1pmobile.com/ that runs on EE network 1p/MB which does 2G but only 2100MHz 3G, not 900MHz 3G or if car uses more data you can get Vodafone Basic 8GB https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bund...2e8c007648afor £10 per month which works 2G and 900/2100MHz 3G. If you are lucky enough to have newer modem in phone module it should work on 4G as well but considering it does not work on 3, it's probably older 3G modem

H-M3 27th December 2019 12:13 PM

Thanks mate. I got the 3 sim as it gives 200mb free every month with initial £5 and registration. Also it allows use in Europe. Will need to see what the issue is, might have to contact them and see if the can issue a 3g specific sim. Thanks

paulrstaylor 27th December 2019 10:03 PM

3 don't have thre correct spectrum for the 3g modem in thre early D4 cars, they also don't have a 2g network to fall back on.

Choices are a hardware change on the 5f unit on thre car, or a different mobile network (y)

H-M3 27th December 2019 10:14 PM

My d4 is the late 2014 so is the facelift. Would that make any difference?

paulrstaylor 27th December 2019 10:43 PM

Possibly. It's been a few years since I looked at it in detail, but it likely rules out a hardware upgrade for the car as you will already have the later modem.

The fundamental issue is that mobile operators have limited spectrum to play with, as 4g and 5g are deployed they tend to retire 3g to free up the spectrum, sadly cars are not represented replaced as quickly as phones.

To that end most big networks plan to keep 2g service for a number of years, as it is still the best for penetration. 3 don't have that option as they never had a 2g network.

I'd try a different SIM, suspect it will just work.... if not, you will have lost a tenner max ;)

H-M3 27th December 2019 10:45 PM

Yeah cheers pal.

tc4332 28th December 2019 01:24 PM

I am using ID without any problems.
ID runs on the back of EE.

I'm using a £10 a month contract

H-M3 28th December 2019 04:32 PM

Just had Neel over to check it out. Unfortunately vcds could not pick anything up as error, we also tried his sim from his car. Still no joy. My sim works in his car so either the SW needs updating as I am on factory SW???

paulrstaylor 28th December 2019 05:17 PM

On a 2014 it should work out of the box :Confused:

Out of interest, what network was his SIM on?

H-M3 28th December 2019 05:29 PM

His one is on EE. My 3 worked on his one too:Confused: thinking might have to clean the sim but with forced air or something. The SD slot works as we tried one of his too.