A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What sunroof options were there on a D2? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13120)

RICKY D 16th June 2017 08:23 AM

What sunroof options were there on a D2?

I only noticed today that my 8 has a glass sunroof with a sliding panel to let more light in....well actually I noticed when I bought it, but never gave it much thought until I remembered my 2 previous 8's had aluminum roofs.

I think the aluminum roofs probably look best especially on lighter coloured cars as it gives the roof a cleaner look.

I know there are solar roof, aluminum and glass. I'm assuming that's it? Were the glass sunroofs the poverty spec option back in the day then?

HPsauce 16th June 2017 08:33 AM

The early (PF) brochures I have suggest that an aluminium sunroof was standard, solar an option.
No mention of glass or none.

MikkiJayne 16th June 2017 08:58 AM

I didn't know glass was an option. Mine has a sliding aluminium sunroof - it doesn't even tilt. Thats a real poverty spec. Even my A4s have tilt and slide :rolleyes:

Adrian E 16th June 2017 09:03 AM

All of them should tilt - you need to press the end of the button up towards the roof to actuate the tilt function.

You're correct about the 3 option choices - IIRC the glass roof was actually the most expensive, with aluminium panel the standard fit in the UK, delete was an option I think, and solar somewhere in the middle on cost.

IT 16th June 2017 09:36 AM

On the D2, the solid sunroof was standard kit. It wasn't specifically an option to not have a sunroof, but I'm sure if you asked nicely, they'd do it.

Its one of my bugbears about the 'cheapening' of the D3 when it became an option.....

They all tilt and slide. It was less obvious facelift as you have to push and pull the knob to make it happen. There have been so many folk over the years that think their sunroofs only slide.... ;)

Glass sunroof was only available facelift as a cost option, and was standard on the LWB. Its my preferred, i love light in the cabin.

Solar was an option from about 1995. It wasn't available on the very early cars. The panel design changed in about 2001 to have 4 rows of cells to give a more powerful supply.

The solar and solid roofs share the same solid interior trims, and are reasonably interchangeable with a bit of wiring. The glass one has slats in the trim to allow light in, making it a fairly unique piece of trim actually....

Conquistador 16th June 2017 10:58 AM

A forum member with a D3 at an annual meet asked me how I got my sunroof to tilt up, he didn't know despite owning his car for 4 years :o

I'm a big fan of a sunroof and it's a must have when I look for a car now. Would rather a glass sunroof over the solar but the solar roof is still cool. :cool:

I've seen a couple of LHD D2s online with no sunroof at all but the majority seem to have a solid panel or solar. I had a glass sunroof on my D2 but didn't see many others at all with a glass sunroof.

Ameiseuk 16th June 2017 12:29 PM

I had a guy stop me in Tescos a couple of weeks back to ask me how I managed to get my sunroof to tilt.
He had a FL D2 for 6 years and never realised there was a tilt feature!

I only knew about it from this forum! +++

HPsauce 16th June 2017 12:35 PM

Never opened mine. ;)

Architex_mA8tey 16th June 2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 129247)
Never opened mine. ;)

Better not let me demonstrate it then Andrew :p

HPsauce 16th June 2017 02:06 PM

:ROFL: True.