A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   AARGH!!! Surely not the gearbox! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14336)

tintin 25th July 2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes (Post 143864)
Hmm, interesting idea, going to Dortmund! But that's 2 ferries each way instead of one!

Three and a half large, ouch. Do they take luncheon vouchers?!

As an aside, been checking my breakdown cover. If you break down within a mile of home then it's taking to the nearest garage only but under 'Recovery of the vehicle and passengers' it says this:

'We will arrange help and pay the cost of taking you, passengers and the vehicle to any one place you choose' and excludes transportation to more than one place and transportation of more than 5 passengers

Under what's covered under alternative travel or emergency overnight hotel accommodation it says

'Alternative road or rail travel, or one night’s hotel accommodation for you and up to 5 passengers and also refunding the cost of travel for one person to collect the repaired vehicle' while excluding breakdowns occurring within 25 miles of the home address.

Now, in your humble opinions, does this mean that I can pack a bag, hope it will drive on and off a ferry and about fifteen miles down the road (if it makes it!) and then ring them up to tell them I have a gearbox problem which is ruining my weekend in Glasgow but I have found someone up there to have a look at it while I'm there?!

It feels wrong, I know. But I dread getting quotes for someone to do a 500 mile run with that on a flatbed

I think that's exactly what I did on my trip to Glasgow (admittedly only 220 miles for me): I remember now having a chat with my mate who runs the local Kwikfit, and he thought that (a) the car would be ok getting there and (b) that the RAC would recover it to Mackies if it didn't make it.

You may want to have a hotel booking in Glasgow that you can cancel on the day as corroboration that you were going to make the trip (I can give you an hotel that'll probably be happy to do this)

It probably all boils down to your attitude to risk: I won't pretend that my trip to Glasgow was relaxing (especially on the climb up to Shap, where I was really concerned that the 'box would start slipping if I did anything more than gently stroke the loud pedal), but I got there, and don't regret doing it. Though that's with hindsight :)

The_Laird 25th July 2018 08:12 PM

IIRC, there’s aloso a place in Chester. Chester Autotransmissions, I think, that have been mentioned positively on this forum, although I’d give my vote to Mackies as I’ve used them for gearbox servicing a few times

tintin 25th July 2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 143867)
IIRC, there’s aloso a place in Chester. Chester Autotransmissions, I think, that have been mentioned positively on this forum, although I’d give my vote to Mackies as I’ve used them for gearbox servicing a few times

Personally i wouldn't recommend Chester Transmissions: they were the ones who serviced my gearbox (which, admittedly, hadn't been done before...), and that's when it started playing up.

Having dealt with both them and Mackies, I'd choose Mackies every time, even though Chester Transmissions are only 25 miles from me, not 225 miles away, like Mackies.

sarg 26th July 2018 02:57 AM

Chester Transmissions reconditioned mine about 40,000 miles before it failed. Make of that what you will..

Architex_mA8tey 26th July 2018 06:14 AM

The only two places I know nearer to you are Bristol Transmissions and also Newbury Transmissions, both respected.
I guess you could call them to see what they offer.

When my gearbox went pop I opted for a new exchange gearbox from TPS and used a local garage that I knew to change it over - from memory the gearbox was £2,600 + vat trade. I had my MAF sensor replaced and a fresh mot and the total bill came to about £4,200 incl vat but you do get everything including the F125 switch new and even the oil for the gearbox all comes with it. It was a no brainstorm for me as I knew I wanted to keep the car and still have it now.

Davey Blueeyes 26th July 2018 12:11 PM

The Chinese say you are blessed to live in interesting times I believe? Well today my life got very much more interesting.

Sadly I can't elaborate, needless to say that I might not be able to get this fixed :(

Bummer. 4 months into owning the D2 S8 of my dreams, it seems the Gods are not with me on this.

I'm going to take some time over the next few days to think very carefully about this, my options are becoming more limited by the day.

Double bummer. Anyhoo, no point feeling sorry for myself. I can't express adequately how supportive you have all been and it's been heartwarming in all honesty, but circumstances are turning somewhat and cutting my losses might just be my only option right now.

I have a very tough decision to make on an otherwise immaculate, one-off D2 D8.

Thanks, I love you all +++

lebesset 26th July 2018 02:21 PM

sorry to hear of your problems davey
when I am in england during the winter I live about 10 minutes from the southampton ferry terminal and have , thanks to andrew [ HP Sauce] the kit to test D2's ......however it is at my french house right now !

if you want a second opinion before you make any decision there is a VAG independent near me monksautosouthampton .co.uk of which I hear nothing but good things , the owner is audi trained apparently
just to say that as a last throw of the dice before you do anything you might try what I did, more in hope than expectation , stripped out the F125 , cleaned up all the contacts , and have had 2 years with no further limp mode ! doesn't sound likely but as a no cost method...... wasn't what the test program showed but who knows ?

IT 26th July 2018 03:55 PM

Oh my. Not good news.

Its a bit touch and go on the financials.

The cost of travel/transport/mackies and engine overheat issue + its residual 'as is' value pretty much equal its top end resale value when all done.

You'd have to really want to keep it long term to justify that outlay.

I'd only get the box done at Audi or Mackies. They are the only 2 places I'd consider to have tangible resale value.

But your change in circumstances might make this all irrelevant.

Both my A8's are effectively up for sale, but I doubt that's a solution either.

Hope you get sorted one way or another, and whatever happens it gets a new gearbox and is saved +++

Regulus 26th July 2018 06:45 PM

It is sad to read about your woes.
Only four months driving the car :-(

barzya8 26th July 2018 09:00 PM

Sorry to hear your latest news Davey.
Hope you manage to get things sorted with not only your car gearbox, but with whatever has happened in your personal life.
These are great cars and do need to be invested in
Good luck with what ever decision you make. :-(