A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   EVs are NOT the answer to save this planet! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16761)

Audifan 21st August 2022 06:52 PM

EVs are NOT the answer to save this planet!

I came across this video and I HATE how EVs are being pushed upon us to fix our climate crisis!

tonupkid 21st August 2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 170508)
I came across this video and I HATE how EVs are being pushed upon us to fix our climate crisis!

So what's your solution?

tintin 21st August 2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 170508)

I could pick this apart forever, but I can't be arsed to be honest, so I'll just pick one of his "arguments' as an example:

"EVs are using 'dirty' fossil fuel sources for electricity, so are as dirty as petrol/diesel anyway" Not so, for at least two main reasons:

1) the energy efficiency/conversion costs to get this 'fuel' (EV or ICE) to the point of use is much worse for ICE fuel sources than for EVs (see other threads on this forum about that....) and

2) More and more electricity is sourced from clean energy - and increasingly at a cheaper price than the fossil fuel alternative, so this 'argument' from him is becoming more untrue every day.

Honestly, this really is not worth watching - or certainly not believing, if you have any sense.

IT 21st August 2022 10:03 PM

I've not even watched it, as I feared it would be full of bull.

Tintin has summed up the big points there. The ICE conversion of fossil fuel to forward motion results in a wasteful creation of heat that is just dissipated into the atmosphere. This, for a start doesnt happen in a controlled power station environment, but yes, the power used to charge EV's might come from fossil fuel, but it absolutely has the potential to come from solar, wind, nuclear and many others, where an ICE never can.

But honestly, forget the planet saving stuff. I still love a V8, im not about to start hugging trees.

The brutal acceleration, lack of messy expensive servicing and not having to drive out of my way to go to a special shop to buy fuel for my car - Those are my top 3 reasons for driving an EV.

Audifan 21st August 2022 11:02 PM

I don't have a solution. Why not create an alternative fuel that doesn't pollute?

So destroying the planet by mining for the materials needed for the EV batteries is good?

Article of environmental impact of a battery

tintin 22nd August 2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 170513)

So destroying the planet by mining for the materials needed for the EV batteries is good?

Article of environmental impact of a battery

No more destructive than any other form of mining - and an EV battery has useful second life use - which is not the case with a V8 ;)

tonupkid 22nd August 2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audifan (Post 170513)
I don't have a solution. Why not create an alternative fuel that doesn't pollute?
[/url]

I have some good news to share. There is an alternative fuel that doesn't pollute.
Sadly (from your perspective) that non polluting alternative fuel is electricity ;)

Electricity doesn't deliver the visceral joy of a bellowing ICE, but if loosing that leaves the world a cleaner place for our future generations, I think its a price worth paying.

pete-p 22nd August 2022 08:33 PM

Well there are synthetic fuels being developed and can almost be deemed carbon neutral as they aren't always releasing new carbon into the atmosphere.

https://synhelion.com/news/synthetic-fuels-explained#:~:text=What%20are%20synthetic%20fuels%3 F,used%20all%20around%20the%20world.

Not sure what the future will end up being but currently battery seems to be the focus, recycling these will be the key and making sure they can be.

tintin 22nd August 2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 170517)
Well there are synthetic fuels being developed and can almost be deemed carbon neutral as they aren't always releasing new carbon into the atmosphere.

https://synhelion.com/news/synthetic-fuels-explained#:~:text=What%20are%20synthetic%20fuels%3 F,used%20all%20around%20the%20world.

Not sure what the future will end up being but currently battery seems to be the focus, recycling these will be the key and making sure they can be.

Broken link? (for me, anyway..:rolleyes:)

ainarssems 23rd August 2022 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 170517)

The Tesla's latest 4680 structural battery packs are filled with foam, probably polyurethane. Really hard to dismantle and recycle by traditional means and to reuse bits of it and it would be very work intensive. Their idea for recycling is dip it in liquid nitrogen to cool down, stop chemical reactions and make it britlle, then put it in giant grinder to grind it it tiny pieces. Then use vibrating machine so that heavier particles go to bottom and lightest to the top, then separate and you get something similar to high quality mined ore.