A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Can Replacement Speedo Have Mileage Changed (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8428)

steamship 5th July 2014 10:36 PM

Can Replacement Speedo Have Mileage Changed

Noticed that daviesbike is having a spring clean and has a couple of A8 speedos, although I think they're for a D3. It got me thinking since my speedo is faulty. No comms between it and Sat Nav, fuel MPG shows as 200 and backlights temperamental. If I was to fit another speedo, is it possible to code in the mileage that's on my current one, or would I be stuck with whatever the replacement one came with?

Lee S 5th July 2014 11:19 PM

Must be able to. I had my cluster changed by Audi under warranty due to a flickering back light and the new cluster had the same mileage on when I got it back. VCDS?

Architex_mA8tey 5th July 2014 11:41 PM

I think that Guys ones are for a D3 Sean looking at them. The D2 FL cluster if I remember is coded to the keys that you have immobiliser wise so if you do try and change it an Audi dealer with full VAS set up would need to sort that bit out to so that your keys talk to the immobiliser - not even sure it's possible but you'd need to ask Audi the question. IT may know this for certain and be along in a bit +++

ainarssems 6th July 2014 06:28 AM

Mileage officially can only be changed once on new cluster that has less than 100km on it. If you want it changed later you need to desolder EEPROM, read it in reader, modify data, write it back in the chip and solder it back. On some clusters it can be changed with aftermarket gear like VAGTacho or VAG Commander. If you are swapping clusters it's probably easier to swap eeprom chip from the old cluster into the new one.

steamship 7th July 2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 77342)
Mileage officially can only be changed once on new cluster that has less than 100km on it. If you want it changed later you need to desolder EEPROM, read it in reader, modify data, write it back in the chip and solder it back. On some clusters it can be changed with aftermarket gear like VAGTacho or VAG Commander. If you are swapping clusters it's probably easier to swap eeprom chip from the old cluster into the new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 77340)
The D2 FL cluster if I remember is coded to the keys that you have

Sounds like too much hassle, and don't want to go to the expense of a new cluster. Will just live with the issues. Thanks.

mannyo 7th July 2014 08:43 PM

I looked into replacing the cluster on my old D2 as it had a problem with the mileage display, I also gave up due to the hassle factor and put up with the fault.

ScottD3 8th July 2014 01:54 PM

Contact a good mobile immobilizer/key guy and they should be able to do it for you.

I know of two.
You supply the clocks and they can code the clock, car and keys.
You'll have the same keys and miles (unless you want to clock it but I don't recommend that) and away you go.

Let me know if you want their details.

steamship 8th July 2014 10:55 PM

Cheers Scott, but as Manny said, it's too much of a hassle as I can live with the faults. The only one I could find on eBay was £100, which I'd rather spend on something better for the car.