View Single Post
Old 4th September 2016, 10:49 AM

Thanks Robert, comment appreciated. Gearbox drop and refit was not a big deal. Hard part was finding some newspaper to wrap it in so that I could carry it on my lap during the bus journeys.
Back in '58 in Germany whilst driving an Austin gantry wagon in convoy I kept hearing strange noises but being only 18 and very naive just carried on. Some 300 miles later in a farmyard north east of Hamburg I reported said strange noises. It was resolved to a loose, very loose, flywheel. The fitters claimed that the only bolt holding it on was not even finger tight. Phew, hot sweats when I think about that.
There are many more stories in my history book, but then I have driven the odd mile or two over the years in quite a varied amount and types of vehicle.
Dropping a propshaft on the M6, pulling over to the hard shoulder and walking back to recover the shaft. I think it was six cars that hit it and damaged their wheels.
Big end collapsing on a loaded coach whils driving up to the St Bernard Pass in Switzerland, managing an engineless three point turn and carefully rolling down the "hill" and into a Volvo agents there.
Same area but other side of the valley a couple of years later losing al brake systems and managing to ditch the coach with only £21 of damage.
I could go on but it only becomes boring.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)