View Single Post
Old 28th November 2016, 04:50 AM

Although the first post is quite entertaining, in case someone stumbles across here via a web search for actual veterinary advice, I think we owe it to them to supply the correct answer. My cousin is a veterinarian, so I am qualified to reply. Also my sister-in-law is a vegetarian and part-time vagitarian.

Medication administration (oral route) to the feline animal:
1) Determine caliber of pill. (using calipers; 0.30 inch = ".30 caliber", etc.)
2) If approximately a convenient air gun caliber (there are many), borrow said weapon from whichever friend thinks it's superior to yours. Insert pill into breech of air gun (using wadding if necessary); place muzzle gently into kitty's mouth.
3) fire the pill into her little tum-tum. Some burping/bleeding will occur (from both ends) and is to be expected. Fluffy will clean it up.

The (seriously) correct method is to hold cat's mouth open with its head held vertically and drop the pill onto the back of its tongue; then, while holding its mouth closed, stroke its neck from chin toward chest as forcefully as is comfortable (for the animal) until it swallows. Works on dogs, too, including well trained K9s who would never eat anything unless deliberately handed the morsel by its handler, who should be the only one to administer oral meds to the dog.

###fin###

Questions brought to mind by this thread: What was A8L Chick's previous username?
Why are there only cabs ($20 to the center of Nashville from here, 17 miles/30 minutes, for instance) or limos (stretch, ostentatious, smell like wedding vomit; cost: $80 for the same trip with a 2-hour minimum, so ~$200) in the US?
What do the female members of this forum look like? Does owning two A8Ls make one twice as sexy? If so count me in, as I've got a pair! (of A8Ls).

-Tom