View Single Post
Old 11th January 2017, 04:16 PM

Relays are behind panel in front of drivers knees no need to remove it just take out screws at top and side then prise forward from the top. I've attached the drawings for removing the trim and another showing the relays.

Good luck let me know if it works for you.

In answer to the earlier question non of the relays show any pitting or burning of the contacts. I tested J53 & J695 before replacing them, both operated ok and had the correct resistance readings. I got both their location and used replacements from A8 Parts. In actuality I don't think there was anything wrong with them but at the time was unaware of J329. Because my manual is for LHD cars in search of the relays I stripped out every relay carrier from behind the glove box and under bonnet before finding the right one.

On J329 (370) again no pitting or burning on the contacts but signs of heat on the two terminals that carry power. One of the intermittent symptoms was a clicking like an old fashioned starter solenoid not having enough juice to kick in which may have been the relay coil breaking down.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starter Relay Drawing.pdf (427.9 KB, 623 views)
File Type: pdf Left Trim Panel.pdf (5.1 KB, 464 views)
File Type: pdf Dash Panel End Trim.pdf (24.0 KB, 435 views)
File Type: pdf Right Trim Panel.pdf (62.1 KB, 462 views)

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles