View Single Post
Old 13th January 2017, 09:47 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Annoying ain't it.

I think it's primarily a FL issue. While the FL armrests are a definite improvement both visually and reliability-wise over the skinny little PF armrests, it's like the Audi designers never really thought it through when they redesigned the armrests. They sit too close to the seats. It often seems to be the case with FL vehicles that flaws are introduced. I guess design budgets for facelift projects are a fraction of those assigned to designing a new vehicle. The PF A8s I owned never had that problem (though PF armrests would invariably break).

One thing I would say .... make sure the bit your seatbelt clips into (whatever it's called) is vertical. If it gets pushed forward it rubs on the seat and can sound a lot like the armrests rubbing.

The only temporary fix I've found for the armrests though is to rub lots of leather cream into the sides, which is something I often do before a long journey. The rest of the time, if the noise starts and it annoys me, I sometimes drive with my hand tucked between to stop it!

I've considered gluing felt to the sides to prevent the noise. I'd be interested to hear of any ideas anyone else has had.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust