Thread: Which oil spec?
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I hear you guys, but I'm not convinced Castrol is putting same 5W30 oil everywhere just under different brand/name.
I just don't believe £2.80 per litre Quantum is identical to £10 per litre Castrol Edge.
Asda do some cracking deals on 5w30 VAG spec oil from time to time Marcin.....
Seriously though, (and I have posed this question elsewhere before) if it meets the spec then it meets the spec for normal driving. If you are, as Matty asks doing a lot of high revs stuff, the you should of course look for something that suits that. If it were the case that Company X (usually Brand name e.g. Castrol /BP ) produces a 5W30 that meets the spec but is adding some super-duper additive which achieves some fantastic bettering of engine life or whatever, then you bet they would shout very loud about it. But all they do is make some generic marketing statements dreamed up by cheap suited marketeers hoping you buy their product rather Company Y's as there is no real technical difference between them. In short - and I am happy to be corrected by anybody with sound technical information - IMHO the only real difference between, say Quantum and Castrol is the amount of marketing sh#te which Castrol has to pay for and recovers through higher prices. I stand to be corrected.