View Single Post
Old 19th December 2017, 08:41 AM

[quote=MikkiJayne;111348]Mm I found the prices eye watering too! I cut the ends off the original hoses and swaged new hose on to them instead.

I just reconditioned my subframe. Some muppet had cut a couple of holes in it for who knows what reason. Sand blasted it, welded up the holes and re-painted. Be aware subframes can't be welded according to the MoT, which frankly is ridiculous. If you can weld bodywork which is much thinner, what possible drawback can there be to welding up a 2.5mm thick subframe? The lesson I learn from that is make the repair invisible, but sadly most garages won't consider repairing them.[quote]

I'll repair them and make it invisible with full pen single sided welding, painted with marine grade red oxide primer ready for a top coat of your choice

I think the reasoning behind the whole repair issue is no call for coded welders in the motor repair industry. Structural welds should not be done by a self taught welder on a mig machine bought for Christmas as it'll be like aero chocolate or lack penetration. Car bodies are so thin you don't need a good technique as you get full penetration without trying, not so easy when you get to thicker steels that require full pen with 0 inclusion on a full x-ray, there are welders and welders. I don't even trust the garage to do my brakes let alone welding structural joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Just discovered mine has dumped a lot of it's PAS fluid today, pump was howling and it took at least a litre of fluid. Mechanic unable to look at it until next week..getting a bit nervous as that's me down to only one car now as the Fiat is having electrical gremlins investigated. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with the RS6 now
Mine went to the point the fluid was coming out as quick as I could pour it in, so should be ok with a top up to get you where you need to be for the hose change.

Bright yellow bus o love.