View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 11:26 AM

FINALLY!!! I've got heat!!!
Actually more important than just keeping warm (seats help) as it means you can clear your windows from moisture and icing!

When I swapped the valve the other day and didn't get much of a change, I ended up putting on the old pump, which i'd tested and it turned off a battery, but i don't know if it was weak.....Anyway I swapped it back to the one that i got with the "new" valve.

Also seeing as i needed to go back in as I had a bit of a coolant leak (loose pipe, bottom at the back, it seems), I decided I'd do a flush of the heater matrix's

Using a hose pipe coupler and a pair of jubliee clips on a couple of bits of hose I had meant i could connect a pump to a bucket of cleaner and run it through just the matrix. Top & Bottom back pipes. Left pair does drivers, right pair does passengers.

It would have been easy but my pond pump was too weak, the drill pump didn't want to work and my oil pump doesn't like water as it self lubricates, so was a little more fiddly than i'd like, But i ran cleaner (single bucket) through one, then the other, then clean water through each of them (dual bucket so it didn't mix, but flushed). Ideally you'd want to then pump coolant through, but i ran out of time and just added a strong mix once I filled the system back up.

Interestingly each time I drain the coolant i get grit out the system!!!

I'll probably do another partial drain after Christmas as it's only a bolt on the bottom and filling with a bit of bleeding!
I've used Bilsten G13 coolant concentrate as it's the same spec pink/purple and its ~£30 for 5L from Amazon. Ok it's not "Audi" but the car is more a to be used car than precious!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)