View Single Post
Old 15th March 2018, 07:36 PM

Are they alloy calipers? If so, its entirely possible the bleed screw took the thread out of the caliper when Audi Stafford loosened it for bleeding. Its unlikely they would have removed the bleed screw entirely and then put it back in crossed. I had exactly this happen with a D2 recently - I managed to nip it up enough to stop it dripping, but it popped on the MoT brake test. The steel bleed screw corrodes in to the alloy caliper body and when you try and loosen it the very fine aluminium threads just give up. If that is what happened, its not really Audi Stafford's fault tbh - it would have happened to anyone, and there's nothing you could do to stop it once it got to that point. Probably worth talking to them about it though - they might offer to make it good, or at least offer some goodwill or heavy discount.

Theoretically it might be possible to helicoil it, but its not worth the risk with brake components so I would replace the caliper. The last thing you want is for it to pop again in an emergency stop.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 15th March 2018 at 07:44 PM.