View Single Post
Old 17th March 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Excellent news M12x1.0 bleed screw - I didn't think of that! I might be able to recover the similarly broken D2 caliper I have doing that.

Marty - penetrating fluid is always worth a shot, but usually they're so crusted up it can't get in there. Copper anti-seize is very bad in this situation as it exacerbates the electrolysis between steel and aluminium. If you can get aluminium anti-seize though then this is ok. I usually give them a squirt of waxoyl once they're back in too, to prevent moisture getting down in to the threads - I do this with all brake fittings. The original Brembo bleed screw covers actually have a little collar around them to do the same job.

As David said, the proper Brembo bleed screws have a special black coating to prevent electrolysis, the same as Audi original hardware has a greenish coating. Putting ordinary zinc plated screws in just makes the problem even worse!
Mine are original Audi calipers. They mentioned the barrier coating, but with age (and I guess use, as in bleeding) it wears off.