Thread: Little B***ards
View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:01 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I went to a grammar school run by Catholic priests, and boy, did they know how to discipline you. I fell foul a couple of times for minor indiscretions, and after getting 'six of the best' with a half inch thick leather strap, you didn't need gloves to keep your hands warm. I do remember one pupil getting his head shoved into the brick wall behind him for 'talking in class'.
I'm picturing Father Jack as a teacher now. But I can imagine how, as a young boy, it must've been terrifying to have a Catholic priest take a disliking to you. And even more terrifying if they took a liking to you!!

Our school was pretty strict too. Most of the teachers still wore capes and mortar boards, which helped to instil a feeling of authority I think. I suspect a priest's attire would do the same. We had one teacher known as Horace (nobody knew where the nickname originated, he was actually called Ian Stevenson) who was VERY strict. He was a 6ft-odd middle-aged English teacher with a booming voice that struck terror into you whenever he called out your name. In his lessons, if you so much as looked away from the front when he was talking, or fidgeted, he would sneak up behind your desk and throw your books onto the floor. With a booming voice like Windsor Davies in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, you would be instructed to pick your books up and meet him outside the staff room at lunch time for detention.

Funny thing is, he was probably the best teacher I've ever had and I learned so much in his lessons!

But the even funnier thing was, he drove a Citroen 2CV Dolly
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust