View Single Post
Old 20th November 2019, 09:45 AM

I purchased something called 'PiAEK Endoscope Inspection HD Camera 3 in 1 Endoscope Android USB/Micro USB/Type-C 2.0 Megapixels Waterproof Camera Semi-rigid Cable Borescope' for about 20 quid from that well-known rainforest company. The smart phone/tablet app suggested by the manufacturer was completely useless and didn't work at all, which was surprising as [1] they made the camera and [2] they'd gone to the trouble of displaying a QR code on the instructions/marketing blurb.

In the end, I downloaded some generic endoscope app which works fine (apart from a somewhat clunky interface with dodgy spelling). I'll be honest here and say it's probably one of my best purchases. Before I even got to work on the A8, I was sticking the endoscope down plug holes and inside the waste pipes on the washing machine at home.

Whilst the majority of the length of the supplied camera cable is fairly rigid, I added some strength to it by supporting it/taping it to some stiff metal wire so that I could direct the angle of attack. The first 20 cm or so is normal softer USB cable so care needs to be taken in supporting the USB/OTG adapter where it fits in to your phone or tablet. Despite the camera being about 7mm, it has an LED ring of 6 separate lights which is controllable via a potentiometer alongside a push button, which I assume is for taking pictures. I obviously didn't read the instructions 'cos I'm a bloke.