View Single Post
Old 19th August 2020, 06:17 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
I’m hoping that someone will post a ‘plain English’ version of this thread! I’m stuck with crappy wifi as I have no idea what to do, other than use the ISP router (BT) and the little disc-shaped booster that they provide.
You could consider 'powerline' adaptors as a simpler/cheaper solution, Jim.

By far the the best way is to use professional wireless 'Access Points', like I mentioned earlier, but they do require network cables and a fair bit of setup.

Powerline adaptors are a decent second-best option and usually work reliably, as long as your mains wiring is good and you plug them directly into a wall socket (not an extension). They're not perfect, and you may find that occasionally (~once every month or so) they stop working and need to be restarted (ie just turn them off and on again).

They work by sending the data over the mains wiring and act just like a network cable, requiring little-to-no setup. To simplify things further, some powerline adaptors have a built-in wireless access point, which works a bit like having another wireless router that you can use in any room, simply by plugging it into a wall socket.

TP-Link do a kit that includes 2 powerline WiFi access points:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220T...dp/B07N1HDMFR/
You just plug the smaller unit into a wall socket near your router and connect it to your router via a network cable. Then you plug the two access points in wherever you need them. Additional access points are available too if you need more:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220-.../dp/B00DEYDF8I
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 19th August 2020 at 06:55 PM.