View Single Post
Old 7th December 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Hydrogen. The word 'if' says it all. Electric cars are here, actual working useable and purchasable electric cars.
For the future, Hydrogen has plenty going for it, but for now electric cars are here, on people drives, using our roads. I won't be holding back waiting for that 'if' to come good. Nor, I suspect, will the vast majority of people.
One of the main issues I have with hydrogen - apart from its current absence, and that it shares similar combustion risks as petrol - is that the delivery model is just far too complicated. I preach simplicity to clients as my main line of work, and a hydrogen fuel solution unfortunately just maintains the wholly unnecessary complexity of the current fuel supply chain - i.e. refining of the "end" product, a complicated supply chain for physical delivery, and the maintenance of wasteful infrastructure. Much of that is not required, creates inefficiency and extra cost, and uses/depletes resources and/or energy.

Compare that with electricity, where there's little comparable "cost of conversion", and where the supply chain is either:

(a) universal and already in place (in the case of developed economies) or
(b) able to be quickly created in a shorter, less wasteful end-to-end supply design (in the case of emerging economies).

Both electric and hydrogen are both infinitely better than burning dead dinosaurs, but of the two, I prefer electric

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 8th December 2020 at 09:48 AM.