View Single Post
Old 27th January 2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Thats an emulsion made up of oil vapour and water vapour (like mayonnaise) which typically happens when the car is used for lots of short journeys as it never gets hot enough to 'burn off' all the moisture in the engine. The solution is usually a good long run to get everything hot and keep it hot for a while. Ideally an hour or more on a motorway will do it as the engine needs to be under load to generate enough heat, although if its -18 where you are that might be tricky to achieve?

My engine has had issues warming up to operating temps, so i'm suspecting a faulty thermostat. This probably isn't helping too much with this issue. I've had trouble getting it up to 90 degrees even in the summer months. Timing belt service is planned for when it warms up.

As a temporary solution to get it warmed up, would it be safe to block off part of the radiator with cardboard? My worry is that I don't want the trans temps to skyrocket if I do that.

Would an oil catch can help in this situation? The other temp solution I was thinking about is venting the PCV to atmosphere, but that probably isn't the best idea.

Thanks all.