View Single Post
Old 20th February 2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I think it would take some doing to average single figures over the course of a full tank of fuel in the S8.

Regarding your comment that you don't really go anywhere, I dug out the spreadsheet that I kept when I had my S8. First thing to note is that I used what I would call bog standard petrol, whatever everyone sells here. I didn't use the higher octane ones or the likes of Shell V-power or BP Ultimate, and that was mainly because we don't get Shell or BP here in Northern Ireland and for any of the other higher octanes fuels it would mean a 70 mile round trip.

In the time I had the car I covered 5,500 miles and that literally consisted of two long journeys. Those were trips for the 2018 and 2019 Annual Meets in the Derbyshire Dales and Cornwall. Apart from that, I did maybe 5-6 other little day out runs of around 150-200 miles. Everything else was just short runs of around 30-40 miles and I avoided driving anything less. Overall average based on my figures, not the car DIS, worked out at 19.65mpg, with the only motorway driving being the drive to/from the annual meets.
Thats really not too shabby. My old V8 S8 i used to average around 17 on the dis. Smaller engine but that 5 speed auto too.

I dont really do long journeys either so that kills any diesel economy.