View Single Post
Old 1st May 2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
It all looks straightforward enough...
Famous last words!...What an absolute pig of a job this has turned out to be. The long pinch bolt was seized solid in the wheel bearing housing and after hammering it and heating it to no result, I remembered one tip I'd read in the comments in one of the youtube videos I'd looked at - snap the head off the bolt and then pull it through with the nut and washers. This was working a treat until I'd realised I'd trapped my ring spanner on the nut before getting it out fully so I ended up having to cut the bolt before the nut just to get my spanner out. I continued with the open end of the spanner until the bolt was fouling the wheel bearing housing knuckle so then I had to cut the bolt again after the nut. I then drove what was left of the bolt out of the housing with a metal drift I found at the bottom of my toolbox that looked like it hadn't been used in 20 years....I was probably at it close to two hours at this stage. Next came the ball-joints so off I went and bought a separator which snapped before it freed the first ball-joint I attempted. I hadn't used one of these before (quick bang of a lump hammer always did the trick) but it doesn't seem to be able to be used without damaging the ball-joint boot?

EDIT: I've a feeling the ball-joint tapers are seized into the aluminium in the same way the bolt was...

Last edited by dangerdred; 2nd May 2021 at 12:15 AM.