View Single Post
Old 14th July 2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Perhaps a flying visit then or a touch-and-go landing rather than a full road trip

A stop at Cocoa Mountain up in Durness seems worth it whilst there.

The Bealach na Bà road west to Applecross looks glorious, on par with any of the Swiss/Italian mountain passes by the looks of it, that's definitely going on my 'to-visit' list for a future trip when in something a little more nimble, or on a bike.

From Glenfinnan viaduct the plan is to head along the south side of Loch Eil, then using the Corran ferry to cross the water heading towards Oban but detouring a little through Glencoe and turning off the A82 down a long single-width road to Gualachulain on the north edge of Loch Etive -- the road that part of Skyfall was filmed on when Bond drives his DB5 from a London lockup to the Highlands with M.

As I say, after Oban it's fairly fluid as to meandering back to Essex.
I'd agree - literally - with the flying bit, and was going to suggest that, but don't know how important being in your Ford Ranger is to you. My wee brother lives in Chiswick, and last time he was up in the Highlands he flew to Inverness and hired a car from there: if the car's not key, but the driving is, then that would seem to give you a better experience.

The Bealach na Bà road is truly glorious and I'd recommend stopping at the Torridon Hotel as well, even if only to savour their outstanding whisky collection (and views from the bar...).

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.