View Single Post
Old 9th October 2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It makes a thoroughly horrid job about 10% less horrid, mostly because its easy to take the alternator off with the front end off. Normally I just take the engine out

The best advice I have for doing this job in the car is to buy a few sacrificial but good quality 8mm allen keys which you can cut down to the appropriate length for each bolt, as almost all of them are blocked by the chassis leg for virtually every combination of bits and extensions normally found in a toolbox. Also use a long extension bar or long centre punch to give each bolt a solid whack with a hammer before trying to remove them - this can help break the stiction in the threads so that they will come out without stripping. Do not use ball-end tools in them - they will snap or strip and then the engine has to come out to drill the heads off.

My standard quote for a timing belt on a car I've not seen before is 2 days, because the bumper bolts and front panel bolts can seize in place and make it quite an ordeal to get apart. If it all comes apart nicely then bonus, but if I haven't worked on the car before I'll assume its all seized and plan accordingly. The last one I did took 14 hours, in one day
Add half a day to that for the oil cooler pipe.
Ah right ok, I'm not sure if I would trust a normal garage to tackle the job as seems very in-depth. Don't suppose your close to rugby are you lol.
How much would you charge to do the job? Including parts ?