Thread: Wanted D2 S8 UK
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2022, 02:59 PM

Default Again thanks guys.

@mikkiJanye – thanks for the great response! And you seem to have a fine grasp of this car looking at your posts!

To be honest, The low mileage Santorin Blue S8 I test drove was the 1st one I’d driven. I loved it, but without any working knowledge of what specifically to look for, I wasn’t prepared to meet him anywhere near 15k. I used the price to stop me from buying it. I wasn’t sure about the valve train noise, I posted this video on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clyum...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=).
The feedback is this is normal, great, had an expensive rebuild of the VANOS on a Z3m coupe a few years ago, put me off valvetrain noise!

- “Santorin Blue example on ebay at the moment for about £7K” – I have been talking to the seller on whatsapp. I am waiting for him to send me a video before I go see it! From the photos he’s sent my main concern is corrosion on the front window pillar (image attached) Considering its aluminium is this a big red flag? The car is rough around the edges, which normally suggests neglect.

- "The low mileage Santorin Blue" The thinking behind low mileage is resale value, attractiveness if I ever sell.
- What I meant with the double din comment, was that I could put a nice new unit with apple car play, SATNAV and reversing camera. I used to have an 2008 S5 the nav on that was useless in 2012!
- What would you budget for an overhaul on the most age prone failure components? Hoses etc, to ensure that I can drive it to Italy and back?

@strummagnet – would quite like to attend a mini meet, if you allow BMWs? It would be a good opportunity for me to learn what specifically to look for on these cars!
@Ronin – 1st thing I would do is new headunit thanks!

Acronym question - WITW? – linked to overhauling the cars? What does it stand for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 corr.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	29041