View Single Post
Old 25th January 2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Can I assume therefore that the inside doesn't have threads, and all I need to do is give it a thorough cleaning?
Correct

The aluminium on the end of the bolt can be poked out with a pick. I don't have an intact bumper to hand at the moment, but if you look at it where the bolts go through you'll see the 'nuts' on the top of the cross beam. The bolts are M12x1.5 which is easy enough to get a tap for if you don't already have one. You may be able to clean up the thread enough to torque the bolts.

Unfortunately seized bumper bolts are becoming quite common on D2s as they do fewer miles and don't get taken apart so often. When faced with this I will remove the bumper complete with the support rams and strip the bumper down to get the cross beam out, rams still attached. I'll then cut the heads off the bolts and unscrew the nuts from the top, complete with the shank of the bolt. Then with the nut in the bench vice and with some persuasion from WD40 and mapp gas, I'll screw the bolt further in to the nut, pushing the galled section out of the top which I can then cut off. The remains of the bolt can then be unscrewed and the nut saved. I'll sacrifice the bolt to save the nut, since the bolt can still be bought from Tradition, and the nut can't.