View Single Post
Old 25th July 2023, 04:58 AM

Yes, all of the components of the timing system were changed. All with either oem or good quality units.

Remember the belt timing is OK though. Everything lines up perfectly.

After giving it a lot of thought last night I think I need to check somehow the operation of the timing chain adjuser. MJ illuded to the fact that if the oil pressure wasn't building enough to lift the adjuser then the correlation between the inlet and exhaust camshafts will be out. Excessive valve overlap will have an affect on the air charge in the cylinders as MJ has already mentioned.

Is it that because bank 2 tensioner is the other way up it doesn't show the same issues?

I could be chasing a ghost here. It could be that when the engine fires up and oil pressure builds the tensioner takes its correct position and everything is fine.

I really would like to test it out though before rebuilding everything. Let's not forget I then need to find my real misfiring issue.

I think I'll also have to do an oil pressure test. My gut feeling tells me that turning the engine on the starter motor with no plugs in at all, should generate enough pressure to activate the tensioner. This is what I have done consistently and there is no chain rattle at all.

Is there any way to check the height of the tensioner to see if it is in the correct position?