View Single Post
Old 6th January 2024, 10:12 PM

Well, that's 136k miles and some change now completed

In the other thread MJ was right after all - Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It may well be the sensor then - they can be pretty erratic when they are failing, and get worse when they're hot. They fail sufficiently often that I keep a bunch of them in stock and change them as a matter of course when I take the engine out. They are only £6 or so, although they are a bit of a bugger to change. I'd try that before abandoning it.

Based on the opinion of a garage I've been using for a while I very nearly scrapped/broke this car

My main garage is a friend of mine and he was the one who eventually convinced me to try the NEW pressure switch (after MJ advised it as well ). He normally does the easier stuff such as brakes, oil & filter, service, etc. and the other garage normally does the more technical, labour intensive stuff.

The problem is the owners back gave out in the summer and he's not been in as often leaving his head mechanic to manage most jobs. He was the one who said the engine is scrap and the car is pretty much scrap too. I've since spoken to the owner because I was told it was the oil filter housing debris, failing that starved the engine of oil. He said it was purely a coincident, but the housing failing was not that actually that bad . It had only partially collapsed and there was some debris in the pan, but nothing the oil pump, gauze and filter couldn't handle. Failed timing chain guide pieces he's seen in sumps have been bigger. He was surprised the other mechanic dismissed my suggestion about changing the pressure switch considering the cost!!! At least it's done now for the new owner (if it sells!)

It's left me feeling quite sad actually. I'm getting rid of a car I love because I cannot find a garage good enough to work on these magnificent beasts. I've had a D2 of some form for 10 years now so I know how they're meant to feel when driving but trying to convince a garage to investigate stuff is getting increasingly tiresome. At least I will still have my Green Beast for a little while longer...

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White