View Single Post
Old 30th April 2024, 05:44 AM

For the bush you probably need to take off the arm and do it on the press. Sometimes bushes can be looking pretty sorry from the outside but not having excess movement. I would not replace it based on looks alone if there is no movement.

CV boot can be replaced in situ. I never used stretch boots, some of the aftermarket boots start cracking and split after a year or 2. Try to stick to OEM or known good brands like GKN. J&R from eBay have also worked well for me, they probably don't make their own so could be varied depending where they get them from each time. If the boot was split I usually take the joint off, clean and wash in diesel before reassembling in case dust, dirt and water have gotten in. Can be easily removed from shaft while still on car, I use the driveshaft bolt, put a small socket under it and just tighten it until CV joint pops off. If you remove driveshaft from gearbox, I recommend using thread lock when reassembling as some people have had those bolts undoing themselves after reassembly.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure