View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:50 PM
General Git

Default Mirror electrics

Following on from my successful seatbelt transplant (see post) I set about swapping the Mirror ECU I had acquired for a remarkable price from a well known A8 parts shop.....

It started when I realised that my mirrors were in really bad health and there appeared to be two separate problems:
  • Mirrors would not adjust
  • Folding mirrors worked but passenger side deployed too far. By that I mean it would end up almost perpendicular to the vehicle.

So the mirror ECU is behind the B pillar driver's side and it's really easy to get to. I'll run through the process:
  1. With a flat screwdriver prise trim section off from the base of the rear floor trim to reveal screw circled in pic 1. There is some adhesive underneath so a little force is required. It will click when released.
  2. Undo screw, note these seem weird screws with a version of a rawl plug embedded in the hole. That needs to come out as well!!!
  3. Repeat for driver's door.
  4. Remove B pillar trim; you'll need to unplug the alarm interior sensor button (if fitted) and the bulb for the rear vent control. This takes a little bit of a struggle.
  5. Remove Mirror ECU (pic 2) by undoing the two 10 mm bolts securing it, remove the plug (there is a black retaining clip here) and swap the unit round and simply put everything back.

Simple and easy. I took time to check the bulb wasn't blown at this point and the trim went back easy enough but that didn't fix everything..

Mirrors now adjust perfectly. I can actually change lane with some confidence I'm not going ram some poor unsuspecting vehicle off the road. But the folding mirror problem remains and I'm hoping someone can help me...

At fist I thought it might be a stop in the mirror that was snapped but why would the motor continue to be powered? Maybe there is another ECU to control these motors. Is there a VAGCOM adjustment here?

In desperation I might need to consult a main dealer ...

Anyway thanks in advance for any help!!!

G_G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor trim.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	122   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror ECU.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	123  

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 2nd March 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Embed Photos