View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:11 AM

Hi all, I'm sarg's brother and his personal mechanic ;-). I'm travelling up with him when we come back from the South of France and will get the car on the ramps to check the fluid and also plug in to see if any fault codes have come up. I will also check the colour of the fluid - I understand the proper Audi fluid is greenish-yellow rather than the more usual red for ATF. Is this still the case?

Probably, I'll change the oil and filters and do it all again to see if it helps. Seems, to be worth it given the cost vs scrapping or putting in a new box.

In my experience, when something goes wrong shortly after you change something, it's normally something to do with whatever you did and best to start there first with fault finding!

I also find it no coincidence that the box should fail shortly after the service and please do remember this box has only done about 60k miles. The problems he was having before are all symptoms that would often be cured by a fluid change and service and I really don't subscribe to the 'new oil will kill it' theories that seem to come up with auto 'boxes. I really just don't understand the thinking behind it - it you had an engine that hadn't had it's oil changed for a while, I don't think anyone would leave it in!

Still, we'll find out more in a few weeks and I'm sure I'll be back on here to ask for help!