View Single Post
Old 6th November 2011, 07:47 PM

My OEM satnav aerial on the boot lid packed up ages ago and I couldn't (then) find a replacement at a "reasonable" price.
So I bought a thin little (30mm square) black cheap one off eBay and mounted it at the very bottom of the rear screen on the outside, so it's just in front of the OEM one. Gets a good signal and you just don't notice it's there.

Connecting it up I went a rather circuituous route, actually taking the cable under the boot rim rubber seal round to the nearside hinge mechanisms then followed the route (in reverse) of the original cable (retained) into the boot lid and connected it in there. It was just easier to work on that way.
The cable is very thin (2 or 3 mm) so no problems at all, but the duct tape holding it in places is less than elegant, though only visible with the boot open.

The connector was different to the audi OEM one so I actually cut the OEM lead inside the boot lid and fitted a matching male/female connector pair into that of the same type as the new aerial. That way I can reconnect an OEM aerial if I get one in future, or easily replace this one (which I have once so far).