View Single Post
Old 17th December 2012, 04:46 PM

If it helps, my 2006 D3 has just had its MOT last week. The only failure was a tyre that I managed to cut on some drainage kerbing while avoiding a pothole

I did not realise that I had cut the tyre, but none-the-less, the car passed as they popped the spare on for me.

This was a nice change for me as I was running a 20 year-old Lexus Soarer V8 which whilst it was great, the age was the problem with new pipes, refurb calipers etc being needed. But again, for a high-end car, it was pretty trouble-free for the 8 years I owned it, with only age related problems rather than ECUs failing left right and centre.

I don't agree that the cars stuffed with ECUs are automatically money pits, it really is about whether the car has been made well or not, and the 8 is very well made.

Casing point - I looked at many cars before the 8 and the Merc CL600 was one I looked at. Lovely looking car - but a serious money pit. I was looking at cars that had done 60K and they had £12K suspension rebuilds and perished coil packs.
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds