View Single Post
Old 4th April 2013, 10:00 PM

This has happened to me' on snow.
Years ago in my Renault 25 I was driving at 40'ish on packed snow, on a straight road.
Suddenly one of the (front driven) wheels started to spin like crazy while the revs went bananas. The car slewed sideways with me and my passenger facing the nearside hedge while still moving at quite a speed.
I couldn't switch of the wheel mounted cruise as I was clutching the wheel on full oppy lock, and I didn't want to brake. I jabbed the pedal enough though to cancel the cruise and thankfully the Renault followed my opposite lock, and straightened up.
It happened so fast.
I figured the wheel feeding the stopped info wheel lost traction on the snow, the cruise upped the revs to maintain the programmed speed and with a simple dumb old diff it was then a case of feedback going berserk.
Since then I tend not to use cruise on snow and have told everyone who will listen the same. I do however suspect our more clever cars won't react in this way.

BTW After we straightened up and were once more lookingng a road rather than a hedge in front of the bonnet, my passenger turned to me and dead pan said "do you often do that?"