View Single Post
Old 4th September 2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Interesting comments about not changing the tensioners too...
I did change the tensioner as if it fails cambelt can jump over and cause terminal damage to the engine. I did not change rollers because:
1.There was nothing wrong with, no play and all running nice and smooth,
2.If they wear out in future they will just start making noise , no real risk for terminal damage,
3. If they do fail I can change them myself, no need to pay someone second time.

If you are paying £200 somebody else to do the job then it makes sense to replace them just in case to avoid paying second time for the same job.

Rollers are essentially ball bearings and ball bearings our days are precision made and with thermal and chemical treatments to metal and filled with modern high speed high pressure grease and under normal operation experience next to no wear. The problem in most cases is that with age grease dries out, becomes harder and as balls push it out of the way it does not flow back. This results in dry running and wear noise and heat. I have cleaned out old grease and filled them with a fresh grease and I am confident they will be good for at least another 5 years with low mileage I do and I can reassess the condition when I do next cambelt change. Even if I did more driving I am confident they would last at least another 50k miles and probably more.

Quote:
but then I wouldn't run one of these cars on budgets or part worns either
I don't really understand people who does not use part worn tyres. When you put on new tyres after your first drive they are partworns already, do you go and change them the next day again? Or if you buy a second hand car it will have part worn tyres on it in 99.99% cases, is the first thing you do change the tyres to new?

I mean it's better for me as lower demand equals lower prices for me. If everybody was buying partworns prices would much higher due to low availabilityt and high demand.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure