Thread: Spacer options
View Single Post
Old 5th September 2013, 07:40 PM

I've been considering this too from a looks perspective and have my own views on the relative merits which may help your decision making a bit.

If you buy smaller spacers there isn't space to bolt the spacer to the hub and then the wheel to the spacer using the original bolts. From memory it's 20 or 25mm a side before you can use the original bolts.

If you're going for the thinner options just to space the factory wheels out to fill the arches better (which is what I'd like to achieve) then you will need longer bolts to compensate for the spacer width, plus some security bolts to suit as well.

The rear of the D2 does look like the wheel is a bit too tucked under the arch and you could easily space them out - I've seen pics of before and after posted on here and the car just looks more planted. Downside is you can kerb the wheel that bit easier.

I think people don't bother with the fronts as you don't see it when you're following the car and there's potentially more components getting additional strain on them if you tried to go big on the spacers. Also steering lock could start to be altered and geometry.

I would personally only go for a quality hub centric spacer (one that sits in the spigot inside the wheel) as it gives you extra security that everything is being held in place correctly. I like the H&R Trak Plus style but they don't come cheap, which is why I don't have any! If the thinnest rear spacers which use the stock bolts will clear the wheel arch with a good load in them then that's what I'd go for - I've never measured it to see how far you could go but the H&R site gives instructions

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC