View Single Post
Old 9th March 2014, 06:58 AM

Default Quiet whining noise

Not having much luck with the D3.

I had the exhaust leaks fixed last week, so now the car is silent when driving along, but now have a couple of sounds which were obscured by the loud exhaust.

Once the car warms up when driving at 70mph there is a noticeable whine coming from somewhere, This whine is stops if pull into the services on the motorway for say 1/2 hour, but will return a short while later.

Also when coming to stop with a small amount of steering input there appears to be a slight judder just as the car comes to a stop. There is no problem when travelling in a straight line.

Now I have alarm bells ringing, thinking Diff or Transfer box problems. If I shift to N on the motorway the sound remains but seems to get quieter. At 60mph you dont really here it, and at 80mph its not noticeable either.

All four tyres currently have different tread levels, so once the D2 is sold they will all be replaced. Not sure if this is the cause but there will be rotational speed differences across all four corners.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 9th March 2014 at 07:02 AM.