Thread: Upsizing brakes
View Single Post
Old 30th September 2014, 12:45 PM

Default Upsizing brakes

I’m in the thinking box regarding upsizing the brakes in my A8 D3. Mostly because it has the smallest discs mounted on the D3, and then driving with 19 inch summer wheels (18 inch winter wheels) makes the small disks more apparent. The disks are now 321x30mm in the front and 280x20mm in the back. There are several options to choose from, and I’ve been thinking about 360x34mm in the front and 335x20mm in the rear.

Anyone having any experience in such a job?

Will there be any conflicts with the onboard computer regarding changing disk size?

The wheel bearing housing is the same on all the models as far as I know, so there shouldn’t be any worries there.

The carrier needs to fit the size of the disk size, so they need to be replaced front and rear.

The calipers on my car are one piston type, and for the 360x30 front disks, it needs to be a two piston type, so they need to be replaced too. In the rear I can reuse the old calipers.

I’m aware of the EPB in the rear, but as the old and the new disks have the same thickness, I’ve been hoping it could be as simple as to slide off and on the caliper without any other changes to the caliper. As I don't have VAG-COM yet.

Anyone who can follow my thoughts and can confirm that all this should be a simple bolt on job? Or any other thoughts, suggestions or ideas?