View Single Post
Old 5th March 2015, 10:18 PM

Default Back to the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Indeed. The big block 'just pour in more fuel' attitude to motorcar manufacture is dying. No. I mean dead.

Hybrid / Electric technology is feeling ever closer, and its interesting it seems to be gaining traction at the performance end of market, as well as the eco city car end. Just look at Tesla. And that's come to market really very quickly in the grand scheme of automotive evolution.

I didn't really see that coming to be fair, so I wonder if the classic performance car setup will change quite quickly over the next few years....?

The current RS line up, all have stop/start, cylinder shutdown and other annoying interferences which just don't sound right on a performance car.

I bought this C6 specifically as I do truly believe its one of the very last no compromise, performance over emissions cars that was designed for driver experience over everything else

I know the C7 is on paper faster, more economical and got loads more toys. But, in the words of my local Audi Dealer - Modern Audis got no soul - and how you artificially inject that going forward I don't know.
Agreed - we're approaching the end of an automotive age, and car production is in transition at the moment, with the traditional/established manufacturers compromising with "stop/start, cylinder shutdown and other annoying interferences" as a defence mechanism against the take-up of "cleaner" or more economical alternatives, and clean sheet designs like Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
couldn't agree more with that Ian.

Personally i wouldn't go blow that stupid amount of money on I8, i'd probably give some thought for the Tesla, but the I8 is just ridiculous money for what it is supposed to do when the R8 is just so good for even a bit lees money.

And yeah, call me old school, but i've rather have that rumble in the morning when i start the car and the engine noise on long cruises or when i launch it. Never driven an electric one such as Tesla but i guess that lack of noise and all that tram take off is just blunt and soulless, no doubt it's fast, but the problem is it's only fast without the furious side, sort of speaking - as long as i'll live i won't go buy an electric super-car, period, and that's my commitment to myself .
Don't knock it till you've tried it …or in the meantime, have a look at the latest R8 e-tron instead:

http://jalopnik.com/2016-audi-r8-thi...-fu-1689172312

Last edited by tintin; 6th March 2015 at 09:21 AM.