View Single Post
Old 10th April 2015, 05:33 PM

So finally connected everything as I wanted today, it was 17:00 hrs when I finished so very little power generated by panel. I did run into issue while testing temperature switch. I heated switch with hair dryer for it to switch over the relay to fan but as there was very little power delivered when fan is connected voltage drops too low and relay switches back, voltage raises again and relay engages again so it keeps clicking all the time. Normally temperature will not rise if there is no decent amount of sunshine so hopefully it will work OK with plenty of sun. If not then it is not dealbraker issue, it will just wear out relay sooner and it is making noise. If it does not work I will try either 5V relay or maybe go for transistor to do the switching.

The real test is to see if it will keep battery charged. I have Yuasa 88Ah 730CCA battery which I bought 6 years ago from local parts shop for just under £70 at the time, conductance tester shows battery being 61% health and 630 CCA at current state. Fully charged battery at current condition just taken off charger shows 13.2V which drops to 12.6V overnight, then to 12.4V after week and 12.2V after 2 weeks without driving car. At this point it takes 2 days to fully charge battery with automatic charger from Lidl which delivers 3.8A up to 80% charge and then 0.8A to 100%. I do have OEM phone, Satnav and CD changer which I believe all are getting power when ignition is switched off but using very little, I also have aftermarket alarm. I did charge battery for last 2 days and ideally I would like my current arrangement to keep battery fully charged at 12.6V. I don't think I will need to use car in near future so I will try to leave it on it's own for 2 weeks without starting and see what the results are compared to 12.2V what it would normally be if there was no solar charger connected.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure