View Single Post
Old 1st July 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Same happened to me .... turned out it had bent a valve in cylinder no 2 so on tick over it was rough as a dog no compression. .

I'd advise a compression test in All cylinders to be sure should be between 12.5 bar to 14bar in each cylinder. .

I have rebuild 3 of them over the last 20 months with the same symptoms .. All caused by in proper tools and independent garages not using the 5mm spacer when tensioning up.. you need the slight slack to allow the hydrolic tensioner space to relax... to tight and it will stretch it way out and be far to slack on first cold start and can cause the intake valve to contact the piston.

It's actually listed as an interfeerance engine but it dose spring back when the belt clean snaps but if it just slips a tooth or two I guarantee it will contact the piston ...
5mm spacer? Is this for the 3.0tdi engine? All I've got for timing is the crank locking pin and two cam locking pins, today I did a bit more investigation, triple checked the timing and it is a bad valve, I'm half way through getting the head off, hopefully get to the bottom of it and get my car back.

First time I've ever made a mistake like this sooo annoyed with myself, and will be glad when I'm back in my 8 again, I already miss it lol!

Thanks for the positive words thoug