View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:25 PM

Default Rear tracking issues

Early '96 4.2 Quattro Sport with signs of an "interesting" life.....

Has wheel alignment issues, which manifest as a pull to the left. After a session on a 4 wheel alignment machine the main issue seems to be rear toe.

4.5mm (!) toe in LH rear and 0.5mm toe out RH rear. This kicks the rear out to the right giving the apparent leftwards pull. Camber is 2º-ve on left and 0.0º on right.

Camber is no problem to adjust and I have a rudimentary gauge that shows I can get that to 0.5º -ve both sides. This will help the toe, but not fully correct it. Road test after the camber adjust shows the pull to be reduced but not gone.

The toe adjustment mechanism (designed by a lunatic presumably) is no longer functioning with the bolt firmly rust welded into the (long) bush sleeve. Mr Grinder will needed to remove it, which will destroy the link (unless the bushes for it are available separately, which I doubt). Deep joy.

Googling the part number on the link 4D0 501 529E (item 23)

mostly throws up a slightly different looking part from the one I have.

which is explained here

Mine is the rare early early version, which is not interchangable, presumably because the vertical link has a tapered hole, and is 4 x the price of the later one. Though I can think of a number of ways around that little wrinkle. Suspect used parts will not be viable. I'll also need to source the inner bolt and eccentric washers, which I'd think are dealer only.

In order to remove the remains I think I'll have to drop the lower wishbone off (to give Mr Grinder access to the bolt head). Both inner bushes look a bit weary also. Not sure if these are available separately? Febi don't list them?

Thought this would be a simple task...... should know better by now. Nothing simple on this car!

Nick