View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:20 PM

Default Another Rear Caliper Seized /Bleeding ESP hydraulic pump

Well after all the work done recently (water pump/'stat, timing belt rollers, engine mount, output seal, exhaust) I went to drive to the airport and a shuddering seemed to indicate that the suspect rear offside caliper (I was having trouble with handbrake adjustment) had decided to clamp on. Turned around, went home, changed cars and made it to the airport. Having now returned I have removed the calipers to investigate. The piston in the offside one was hard to move in any direction using the appropriate tool or even pumping the brake pedal! After looking at the alternatives I decided to send both away for refurbishment with BiggRed.
I had been quoted £86 for a single remanufactured caliper by my local garage but BiggRed will completely refurbish both for £139 (£159 for electroplated or £189 for the premium powder coated). As I will re-fit them myself, I read up the Service Manual from the Tech dump on bleeding the system and there was the section on bleeding for vehicles with ESP. They use a VAG 1551 or 1552 to activate the ESP hydraulic pump. The question is - can I use VCDS do this?