Thread: AFS in motion
View Single Post
Old 29th September 2015, 06:12 AM

Default Envious!

The cornering lamps (the H7s, IIRC, to the right of the HIDs) were not available in the US, and on my '04 the lights point straight ahead... but they sure "get the job done"! Our idiotic archaic laws regulating automotive lighting won't even allow the "matrix" LED headlights (sorry forgot the correct term) despite their clear safety advantage. I have heard that the laws are under review for change.
Interestingly, I met an engineer who works at a local (Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA) factory & design firm, Novita, who confided in me a few interesting tidbits regarding their work with Audi. We spoke excitedly for an hour about LEDs, auto lighting, and their glacial progress, and he is truly aware of the improvements technology can deliver but legislation suppresses (here). He is quite the 4-ring fan since he's worked with Audi, due to their obsessive compulsion to improve lighting on their product! He couldn't believe I'd heard of the laser triangle rear fog / stop light. I was "chuffed" as you guys say! =)

Tidbits I don't think he'd mind me telling: The progressive turn signals (as on the 2015s and -16s) weren't initially approved by the D.O.T., until Novita/AOA pointed out the fact that they met the letter-of-the-law reqs; i.e., the first two inches illuminate and extinguish to the extent they satisfy the 1960s-era requirements - the rest is just decoration!
--The OLED rear display is a reality and might be seen sooner than anyone expects on the R8, and / or another unmentionable sporty Audi Coupe (oops).

Sorry to sidetrack your thread, I love the video! Thanks for that!
-Tom