View Single Post
Old 13th October 2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Sorry to hear about the redundancy too Jim. Hope you've got something else lined up.

I'll post the photos soon, but it was a full re-manufacture. Didn't seem worth doing anything less and, as it turned out when they stripped it down, a re-manufacture was definitely needed.

It's something I'd always planned for but, coming just weeks after spending 2.5K on a very thorough and major service (including preventively replacing the notorious oil cooler pipe), I had to do a sanity check and decide whether the car should just go. I even started looking at some D3s/D4s for sale online, which did nothing for me, so I eventually came to the conclusion that I had failed the sanity check and should pour some more money into the D2.

I don't like doing things by halves so I also had them replace the 'F125' range sensor/switch and check the entire drive-train, including a rear diff oil change. To recondition the box and torque converter cost £2,100, removal and refit was £480 and the ATF was £85 (all +VAT). With the F125 switch and a few other bits, the total was £3.5K, including VAT.

I probably could've bought a small house with the amount I've spent on this car since I bought it 6 years ago. Which is ironic, because if I spend much more on it, I think Lyn will make me go live in it!
That's pretty much what I had done several years ago - again by Mackies - never looked back, just serviced with them every year or two since then.