View Single Post
Old 26th April 2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
I would agree its not a 'sudden and unexpected event' which is what insurance would typically cover. Its more of a mechanical / wear item.

Although I'm sure routinely (and also fraudulently) abused, using the insurance company to replace an otherwise perfectly good piece of glass isn't something I'd do, or recommend.

I saw a case a little while back where an A2 owner (genuinely I do believe) ended up with a broken glass panel in his non-functional panoramic sunroof. As the panels can't be individually replaced, he ended up with a brand new sunroof unit direct from Audi, fully working as a by product.

I would be interested however if there are any insurance companies out there that do specifically cover the function / features of the glass over and above chips / cracks ?

"Glass" is very variable by insurer, I have an S4 convertible, some policies cover the glass rear screen as part of the glass excess and terms, whilst others exclude it and cover it under the "body work" and some actually exclude it all together.

That means that a shattered rear screen could mean:
  • a full new roof/hood for a minimal excess, no NCD impact
  • a full new roof/hood at the full excess, NCD impact as a fault accident
  • no cover at all

As cars get older - this could mean a write off for a broken window!